RS232 cable

Anything to do with buying, selling or sourcing Denford machines, spares or software - please use sensibly!

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

RS232 cable

Post by jaycnc » Wed 12 Aug , 2009 22:55 pm

Has anyone got the above to fit a cyclone and Triac please or know where i can get them already made or if not then the part numbers so i can get them from RS and make them please???
If i have to make them has anyone got the diagram also??

thanks
jaycnc

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: RS232 cable

Post by bradders » Thu 13 Aug , 2009 6:49 am

Sorry we are out of stock of those cables as we now use USB cables. Check this link out for the DENFORD MACHINE LINK CABLE

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=765&p=7739&hilit=+link#p7739

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Fri 14 Aug , 2009 11:20 am

jaycnc wrote:Has anyone got the above to fit a cyclone and Triac please or know where i can get them already made or if not then the part numbers so i can get them from RS and make them please???
If i have to make them has anyone got the diagram also??

thanks
jaycnc

Here is the diagram of pin connections that I use for my RS232 cable, it is used on Denford Cyclone lathes with Fanuc OTB and OTC controls, also the same cable is used on a Bridgeport VMC with Fanuc OM - Mate control and I have no problems whatsoever using it with a USB to Serial adapter to an IBM Laptop and an IBM PC

All settings on the DNC and the PC Comm Port should be set to the "Hardware" settings for best results!!
Everything shown below works on all Fanuc O (T or M) controls I have ever used.
Attachments
Serial-USB settings.jpg
Serial-USB settings.jpg (52.18 KiB) Viewed 8775 times
pinout4.gif
pinout4.gif (3.35 KiB) Viewed 8775 times

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Sun 23 Aug , 2009 22:07 pm

Great stuff many thanks guys ill give this a go.

Will this run a Triac also by any chance?

Will this be ok to use on a laptop with XP or will i need windows 98 or another to upload and download programs?

How would i go about uploading and downloading programs to and from the mahcine also?

Think this just about covers my questions for now :D

cheers
j

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 13:52 pm

Others on here have used the industrial text editor to upload programs to their machine.
By the way, we're guessing the cable you are looking for is to upload programs (DNC) to a Fanuc control, not the one to connect and control a denford type machine ?

Some useful links on RS232 software:

Various RS232 DNC software discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1040

modern DNC software from here http://www.cadem.com for FREE:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2043&p=7154

Industrial Text Editor software, DOS, free and does RS232 comms
viewtopic.php?t=256

Denford Industrial Text Editor Manual:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2056

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 23:45 pm

Denford Admin wrote:Others on here have used the industrial text editor to upload programs to their machine.
By the way, we're guessing the cable you are looking for is to upload programs (DNC) to a Fanuc control, not the one to connect and control a denford type machine ?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1040

viewtopic.php?t=256

Yes,one machine is a triac on fanuc OM and the other is the cyclone on Fanuc OTb.
Are there any editing programs about for use on windows XP or Vista by any chance?

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Tue 25 Aug , 2009 0:28 am

jaycnc wrote:
Denford Admin wrote:Others on here have used the industrial text editor to upload programs to their machine.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1040

viewtopic.php?t=256

Yes,one machine is a triac on fanuc OM and the other is the cyclone on Fanuc OTb.
Are there any editing programs about for use on windows XP or Vista by any chance?
You can edit your Code in whatever DNC software you use for uploading/downloading, also Notepad, Wordpad or even MS Word, the code is output from whatever CadCAM software you are using as a simple .TXT file, usually a .NC extension.
Will this be ok to use on a laptop with XP or will i need windows 98 or another to upload and download programs?

How would i go about uploading and downloading programs to and from the mahcine also?
My Laptop is running XP Pro Service Pack 3, I don`t have any problems. Check the links in previous post for DNC software.

Regards
Rob