Dial Thread Indicator - Viceroy Mk 2

Anything to do with buying, selling or sourcing Denford machines, spares or software - please use sensibly!

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

baldrik

Dial Thread Indicator - Viceroy Mk 2

Post by baldrik » Tue 07 Apr , 2009 14:30 pm

Has any body got a dial thread indicator for a viceroy denford mk2 lathe
the lathe has a metric leadscrew

or does anybody know the size and number of teeth of the gear which runs on the leadscrew so i can make one

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Tue 07 Apr , 2009 16:39 pm

I have one for my 280VS, which has the same pitch (3mm) leadscrew.
Can't remember whether I have a copy of the drawings or the parts list for it - will have to check at home.

Andy

baldrik

Post by baldrik » Tue 07 Apr , 2009 17:01 pm

thanks andy does the unit have two gears or one???

everyone tells me i need two gears to cut metric threads is that correct

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Tue 07 Apr , 2009 19:29 pm

Have checked through and I don't have any drawings, but I do have the parts list for the original 5" lathe indicator (dated Feb 1967).
Numbers are:
ML109/1 - Body
ML109/2 - Dial Indicator
ML109/3 - Wormwheel
ML109/4 - Location peg
ML109/5 - Bush
+ 2BA x 3/8" lg grubscrew, 1/4"Whit x 1/4" lg grubscrew & a 1/4" oiler.
I suspect this was for imperial leadscrews, but should be easily adaptable, if Admin can scan and post them up for you.

The gear on my metric one has 30 teeth and, as you can hopefully see in the attached pix, it covers a wide range of metric threads.

Hope this helps,
Andy
Attachments
thread indicator 001.jpg
thread indicator 001.jpg (121.29 KiB) Viewed 16965 times
thread indicator 002.jpg
thread indicator 002.jpg (105.33 KiB) Viewed 16965 times

baldrik

Post by baldrik » Wed 08 Apr , 2009 8:09 am

hi andy

thanks for the pics and for looking for the drawing

i need the module of the thread to order a gear do you have that info?

what does it mean (engage Th/us on the front of the indicator)

baldrik

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 08 Apr , 2009 9:32 am

Found that these have been updated to CAD...hope there's enough info for you...
(sorry about the colour scheme :shock: )
Attachments
ML109.pdf
(84.54 KiB) Downloaded 1539 times
ML109_1.pdf
(91.25 KiB) Downloaded 1386 times

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Andy B » Wed 08 Apr , 2009 10:43 am

Thanks Admin - all the parts on one drawing make life easy!

Baldrik - looks as though all the info you need for the gears is on the drawing. If you decide to make a 28T as well, could you make 2 and sell me the other?

My picture doesn't really show that there is only one line on the top of the metric indicator - i.e. there is only one position in which it should be engaged, rather than multiple positions that can be used on imperial indicators. If you want some better pictures, PM me with your email address - I did those very quickly just to get you going.

At the far end of the old DO (where the old copier is), on the floor next to the cupboard in the corner, was a box with various old charts/plates in. I know there were some english top indicators (CH246), and I think there were some metric front plates as seen in my picture.

Andy

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 08 Apr , 2009 11:36 am

Box full of mm ones - can't find any english (unless I'm looking for the wrong thing?)

PM me your address if you want one posting
Attachments
ViceroyDTImm.JPG
ViceroyDTImm.JPG (136.46 KiB) Viewed 16937 times

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Andy B » Wed 08 Apr , 2009 11:49 am

The 'english' ones I referred to were the disks to go on top of the indicator - 1" diameter with 8 marks and the numbers 1-4 - as shown on drawing ML109.
They may be in the cupboard instead.

Shame there aren't any 28T gears in your stores to go with the plates you found!!

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 08 Apr , 2009 13:05 pm

et voilà...
Attachments
ViceroyDTIEnglish.JPG
ViceroyDTIEnglish.JPG (111.86 KiB) Viewed 16929 times

ASJ

Re: Dial Thread Indicator - Viceroy Mk 2

Post by ASJ » Fri 29 Jan , 2010 19:19 pm

Hi,
I have a viceroy TDS1/1 G.B.L from 1974, and would also like to sourse / make a thread dial indicator for it. The lathe is metric with a 3 mm leadscrew. Does anybody know if the drawings posted would also suit my lathe? i know the leadscrew has the same pitch as the MK2 but i have read that the gearing was changed for the Mk2 version. Would this make a difference? any info is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Alex,
P.s i am a new mamber to this forum and am please that i have finally found a decent source of information for my machine.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 01 Feb , 2010 9:51 am

P.s i am a new mamber to this forum and am please that i have finally found a decent source of information for my machine.
Welcome to the forum. If you're in Huddersfield, feel free to call into Brighouse and take a couple of plates (if they turn out to be ok for your machine)

Drofnedone

Post by Drofnedone » Sun 07 Feb , 2010 12:58 pm

Hi Admin
New to this forum, and
Whilst looking through this posting, I saw that although I have had a TDS1/1 for many years The thread indicator on it has 30 teeth and that to cut the full range of metric threads, I would need another wheel with 28 Teeth.
OK so I will make one..... But I was surprised to see that on the Drawing supplied by ADMIN, the tooth size was given as 26DP. My question is this . Why Would a wormwheel that is intended to mesh with a METRIC lead screw be given as a DP size rather than a MODULE size ?. I would have thought that it should be M1 which would work out as DP 25.4 !!!!

Rgds David C
David C

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 08 Feb , 2010 9:59 am

My question is this . Why Would a wormwheel that is intended to mesh with a METRIC lead screw be given as a DP size rather than a MODULE size ?. I would have thought that it should be M1 which would work out as DP 25.4 !!!!
Sorry I can't answer that - I also couldn't find a drawing for ML109/8 in order to confirm it. Hopefully someone can provide an answer

Drofnedone

Post by Drofnedone » Mon 08 Feb , 2010 10:49 am

Hi Admin
I read that it was DP26 on the CAD drawing that YOU posted above on this posting on 8 Apl 2009.
It is in the box bottom centre on the drawing ML 109_1 pdf
Rgds David C
David C

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 08 Feb , 2010 11:05 am

That's the drawing I looked at and hoped to find another detail drawing ML109/8 (which is mentioned at the top of the table for the 30T gear) in order to confirm 26DP for you...

molyneux.mike

Re: Dial Thread Indicator Information Plates

Post by molyneux.mike » Mon 22 Feb , 2010 12:31 pm

Denford Admin wrote:Box full of mm ones - can't find any english (unless I'm looking for the wrong thing?)

PM me your address if you want one posting
Hello Admin
I am making a couple of Dial Thread Counters for Metric Threads, Could you post me a couple of 30 tooth and 28 tooth information plates as shown in your photo showing a box of them?
I will PM my postal address.
Thanks

molyneux.mike

Post by molyneux.mike » Wed 03 Mar , 2010 15:08 pm

Hi All

I have made a couple of 28T gears to fit my Viceroy TDS 1/1 GB (Metric) Dial Thread Indicator, as per original specifications and made from Meehanite Cast Iron as per original. I have tested them and they work perfectly, engaging accurately and allowing the counter to be used for the other metric threads e.g. 1.75 thread (12mm) etc. With the spacing collar the right length, it engages exactly on the marked line.
Going to make a complete Dial Thread Indictor now, but before I start, I was wondering what interest there would be and what would be a fair price to charge for a 28T gear (or 30T) and a price for the complete assembly with a 30T or 28T gear.
I am just a retired model engineer, but obviously need to make a little profit to cover my time and costs.
If anybody is interested, let me know.

Mike

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Andy B » Thu 04 Mar , 2010 15:16 pm

Mike,

How long do you think it would take to make each gear, if you made a batch of, say , 10?
I think that would be a good basis for a cost.
I'd be interested in a 28T gear.

Andy

Drofnedone

Post by Drofnedone » Thu 04 Mar , 2010 23:50 pm

Mike
I would be interested in a 28 tooth wheel depending on final price when you decide it.
Rgds David C In Warrington.
David C