Orac memory can it be increased

If you've had enough of reading, then look at these pictures of the "good" old days. Machine brochures, magazines etc..

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

NICKJONES111

Orac memory can it be increased

Post by NICKJONES111 » Wed 20 Jun , 2007 10:22 am

I have a 1984 Orac, but also a very advanced commercial CAD/CAM software (Alphacam) luckily with an Orac post and comms to the machine. The only problem is the limited size of the Orac memory. Is there any way this can be increased ? I don't really want to go down the route of driving the Orac from a PC as I would then have inferior CAM software to the Alphacam ! Thanks Nick

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Thu 21 Jun , 2007 8:46 am

I don't really want to go down the route of driving the Orac from a PC as I would then have inferior CAM software to the Alphacam
I don't get this comment :? I would imagine that your CAM software produces G-code ? Most, if not all the PC driven CNC controllers will open a text file of G-code. I've run files with 1000s of lines of code on my PC controlled starturn at home.

Unfortunatly I think you will be out of luck on the memory expansion front. Mr Magoo can probably tell you more.

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Sat 23 Jun , 2007 23:46 pm

No good news from me I'm afraid!

- The Orac memory can not be upgraded

- The Orac does not support DNC (drip feed)

So your only option is to split the program into lots of small ones that will fit into memory :cry:

NICKJONES111

Post by NICKJONES111 » Fri 29 Jun , 2007 7:41 am

Thanks for your replies. Decided to scrap all the original control and have retrofitted with PC control using Mach3 software, CNC4PC breakout board , Gecko microstepping drives plus encoders driven by handwheels for manually moving each axis. As suggested I can use the Mach3 to load the G code created by Alphacam. Nice up to date machine now ! :)