Cannot change machine in QuickCam 2D

A forum for anything to do with QuickCAM 2D Design and LaserCAM 2D Design. Submit advice, examples, problems, feature requests etc..

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

el$syd
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Cannot change machine in QuickCam 2D

Post by el$syd » Wed 07 Apr , 2010 18:52 pm

Hi,
For a while now I have been trying to make a hole in a 50mm thick piece of Aluminium (dimensions are x=132.32, Y=62.82). The hole will eventually go right through and is 31.75mm (1.25") in diameter. Throughout I am working in Metric.
- The billet size is set in QuickCam 2 and I draw a circle in the centre (X=66.16,Y=31.41, diameter = 31.75) of the billet. The circle is drawn in the centre of the billet.
- Run cam wizard and select aluminium, inside offset, 0.1mm depth of cut,10mm end mill etc...
- produce G code with Denford Metric milling
- The G code is produced saying 'Novamill'
- I run the G code on VR Milling V2.31, CNCsimulator and on my Triac PC.
- All results show an offset toward the origin for the X and Y, so the hole is not centred in the billet!
- Looking at the |G-code coordinates confirms the above.
How do I change the machine designation in Quickcam to be TRIAC PC rather than Novamill? (or is that not relevant?)

I am probably doing something very silly but have tried everything I can think of to get it right and so far not succeeded!

Thanks

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Cannot change machine in QuickCam 2D

Post by Steve » Thu 08 Apr , 2010 9:25 am

Hi,

It sounds like you are doing things right. The Metric Milling post will probably just list the NovaMill by default.

When you are saying you run the program in the VR simulator are you talking about VR Milling or the 2D /3D simulation.

VR Milling could be set to use a default billet and no the billet you have programmed.

Can you check the program in the 2D 3D simulation?

If it apears wrong here can you attach your MCD file and the FNC file created so we can take a look?

el$syd
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Re: Cannot change machine in QuickCam 2D

Post by el$syd » Thu 08 Apr , 2010 15:27 pm

:oops:
Thanks for your input - it forced me to re-examine everything very carefully, before submitting code and photos. I was actually doing some 'silly' things - after a couple of weeks of not using the machine I had forgotten some of the basics :shock:. I think I will have to do a check list to remind me of all the parameters that need to be correctly set before cutting anything. Offsets must be set in the right way - I had used tool centre offset rather than tool edge offset, and it also helps to have the right tool in VR milling (2.31). I forgot that VR Milling does not automatically take the tool size from Quickcam 2D. So VR Milling and Quickcam do exactly what they are supposed to!
Thanks once again for your patient reply.