QuickCAM 2D - changing materials listing, strange circles

A forum for anything to do with QuickCAM 2D Design and LaserCAM 2D Design. Submit advice, examples, problems, feature requests etc..

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

charcoal

QuickCAM 2D - changing materials listing, strange circles

Post by charcoal » Tue 15 Apr , 2008 3:30 am

I'm a newby to this sort of work (only have had the CNC mill for 2 weeks) please be kind with the terminology.

Have noticed several strange things happening with 2D Design, been working through the PCB tut. When setting up the machine plan selected 'plastics/PCB' from the list, had to go away from the work and come back at latter time. Opened up saved file and re-started the machine plan, found that the materials selection list now different. 'Plastics/PCB' has disappeared - indeed no mention of PCB at all. Now have options like, wax, plexiglass, HIPS etc. Suggestions please.

Next problem, trying to do same exercise but this time on a laptop running Vista Home as its OS, same hassel with the materials list. Pressed on with machine plan. Got warning re Z axis exceeds billet size (billet is 1.6mm thick - thickness of PCB material currently using. Looked at previous forum posts and found one relating to similar warning re the X axis and reply noting that it could relate to the edge of the tool going outside the billet area - is the same or something different? In addition, when posted the plan out to VR milling (using Compact 1000) and ran the simulation, the program started cutting additional arcs and circles that I had not drawn in and totally ignored the text that I had added. Is this an incompatibility with Vista ? (previous work was done under Windows XP pro).

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 15 Apr , 2008 8:48 am

As for the material selection changing, I'm guessing that has happened because the machine type has changed in VR Milling.
If VR Milling 5 is installed, it becomes the master for material choice in QuickCAM 2D.
In the VRMilling setup menu, choose Material>Edit and you should see the same materials as in QuickCAM 2D.
Change the machine type (eg from Router to Novamill) from the same setup menu, and you will see the material properties change

NB, VRMilling should be closed down if you want to edit the same materials in QuickCAM.

RE the additional arcs coming through - I seem to think this was an occasional problem seen on some PC's to do with rounding errors. Its fixed now so I would definately recommend you get the latest versions of QuickCAM and VR Milling from here:
http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads

HTH