Tags on cutouts

A forum for anything to do with QuickCAM 2D Design and LaserCAM 2D Design. Submit advice, examples, problems, feature requests etc..

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

biggles

Tags on cutouts

Post by biggles » Fri 22 Feb , 2008 12:42 pm

Hi all, I am at present routing parts from 3 m/m lite ply on a Triac.I can only hold the panels at the edges or hold with double sided tape which is messy and unreliable.I would really like to leave small tabs on the parts to hold them on the sheets by lifting the Z axis at predetermined points,I could then remove them after machining.Is there an easy way of doing this in Quickcam 2D or would I have to use another application.

Many thanks

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 26 Feb , 2008 10:39 am

At the moment there is no quick and easy way to add tabs.

However, it is on the top of the feature request list.

boots
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by boots » Tue 26 Feb , 2008 15:42 pm

You can do it with the "Create Offset Path", it will take a little time to do.

Click on the patterns outside line and select " Create Offset Path", select Outside and type in the tool radius. (example: 6mm tool, 3mm radius)

Click on this new outline and select "Explode", under "Alter Selected".

Click on a couple of the longer lines and shorten them by 2xTool Diameter.(6mm tool, 12mm shorter line)

Delete the original outline of the pattern and use "Save As" to rename the drawing (i.e "Machining Plan BirdHouse.mcm")

In the CAM Wizard select these new outside lines in the "Follow" machining plan for your final cut, there should be enough of a "Tab" to hold the part in place.

Adjust the size and number of tabs depending on the overall size of the pattern.